Skip to main content

Good Friday Prayer

My God, my God! 
Why have I forsaken Thee?
Beaten, haggard, bloodied, raw;
For me your loving arms extended
To draw me home into your life;
You hang on that cross for me.
Painful, painful, painful day!
When I at last can see
My sin, my part, your agony.
You say forgive because
I do not know;
But God, today I do!
Your love, your care
For me it hurts
To see you there upon that curse;
To know that I have done my work
That holds you there with nail and wood.
Today I pray that you will grant
A few more days of gracious space
For me to meet your gaze from there.
And with your eyes to lift me up
To die with you and wait
For Life to dawn with mercy’s light.
A life of love; a heart of grace
Craft in my soul to see your face.
In furtive hope I grasp at you
To feel your arms no longer pinned
But wrapped me round and firmly gripped.
Brought to and into you at once
And molded sure like your own love;
Patient and kind despite my sin
Welcome and hold me safe within.
My Lord! My Lord, forgive you me!
Lest I faint and ne’er refresh
To live with you in love for’er.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elders redux

A reader (I am always amazed that people actually read this blog) submitted a rather long comment on the original post on Elders. It is apparent that the reader did some good homework as the comment has several, well, more than several, reference citations. It is clear that they both read the original post and did some Bible study before posting their comment. Because the comment was so long, I thought it appropriate to post another entry rather than bury the response in the comment log. In the following discussion, I have included the text of the comment without the Scripture references. If you want to read the comment in its entirety, scroll to the Elders post and click on the comment. --------------------------------------------------------- [Comment~~~~The church is expected to be a people in exactly this sense. We are the people of God who are charged with continuing and preserving the values, culture, hopes, and the identity of God’s people in our time.~~~~ Does this include th...

Passover, The First Born, Abraham, and You

Israel has been in captivity in Egypt, Moses has completed his contests with Pharaoh, and the People of Israel have been expelled from Egypt. The death of Egyptian firstborn children and livestock has compelled their removal into the wilderness. At the end of Exodus 12, God institutes the Passover in remembrance of the Angel of Death passing by the homes of Jews on the night the Egyptian firstborn children were killed. Notably, they were spared if in a house with blood around the door.  The Passover is established for Israel herself, including their slaves who have been circumcised. If a sojourner wants to celebrate the Passover with you, he can after he circumcises all males with him. I suspect that pretty much eliminated any visitors participating. In chapter 13, the protocols include redeeming Israel's firstborn. In this discussion, God says your firstborn belongs to God, and you must redeem your firstborn or you must kill it. God has redeemed Israel's firstborn by the blood...

Wineskins II

       In chapter 16 of Matthew, Peter ‘makes the great confession’ - Jesus he says is the Son of the Living God. At Covenant, when someone wants to become a member or to be baptized, we ask them who Jesus is and we expect this response. Peter is correct when he says this, but it is not clear that Peter (or the other disciples) understood the ramifications of his statement. Following Peter’s statement we find a series of incidents that make us wonder just how much Peters actually believed what he had said.      In the first instance, Jesus compares Peter to Satan. Jesus tells his disciples that he is going to Jerusalem and there he will die. Peter exclaims that he will not let that happen; Jesus will not be killed. Peter is expecting great things from Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of God on behalf of Israel and he cannot fit Jesus dying into his hope for a greater Israel under this Messiah. This cannot happen, he reasons. Jesus’s response is a harsh re...