Skip to main content

Claudia

Met Claudia today. Nice lady.

Seems she is a resident at a residential care facility here. She’s been here only a week or two, the result of moving here with her daughters. They had moved here for work and asked if she wanted to move with them. She did.

One of Claudia’s daughters had called the church office, wanting someone to visit her mother. I happened to be there harassing our Youth Intern as he worked on the new webpage and our office administrator gave me the message. I’m glad she did.

Claudia is a talkative and relatively energetic lady. She’s in a wheel chair because apparently she tends to black out without warning. She sees the wisdom in using the chair, although I get the impression that given the chance, she’d just as soon take a relaxing stroll outside.

After assuring Claudia that we’d have folks come and talk, bring her communion, and a congregational bulletin, I asked if she’d like to attend services at the church. She was concerned about not having a dress to wear. You see, living most of your days in a wheel chair makes slacks and blouses easier. And so she doesn’t have a dress, or least an appropriate one, for church. Another concern was the imposition that having someone pick her up would be on whoever that might be. What with the wheel chair and all.

One doesn’t want to be a bother, you know.

I told her she could wear whatever she wants; we won’t care. And that we had more than a few folks who would be willing to pick her up and stay with her for services. If she wanted to come, we’d make it happen.

Claudia is a life-long member of our church. She’s familiar with our more conservative groups, but I don’t think she leans their direction too much.

I hope to be like Claudia one of these days. Oh, I don’t know that I want a wheel chair, or to black out if I stand up too long, but her commitment to the family of God, a desire to have human interaction, and concern about others’ scruples are wonderful.

HR

Comments

  1. Hoyt Roberson,
    How are you brother? Good to see you on the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hoyt,

    Didn't know you had a blogsite. Discovered it through Kevin and Cindy's blog. Bruce and I are praying for a swift recovery for her. Quite a shock I can imagine. Anyway, you might check out my blog...pthweatt@blogspot.com. All my girls have one too...it's how we all manage to stay in touch. Jen has just had her first baby, a girl and so Bruce and I are grandparents again. This part of getting old is fun. Hope to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passover, The First Born, Abraham, and You

Israel has been in captivity in Egypt, Moses has completed his contests with Pharaoh, and the People of Israel have been expelled from Egypt. The death of Egyptian firstborn children and livestock has compelled their removal into the wilderness. At the end of Exodus 12, God institutes the Passover in remembrance of the Angel of Death passing by the homes of Jews on the night the Egyptian firstborn children were killed. Notably, they were spared if in a house with blood around the door.  The Passover is established for Israel herself, including their slaves who have been circumcised. If a sojourner wants to celebrate the Passover with you, he can after he circumcises all males with him. I suspect that pretty much eliminated any visitors participating. In chapter 13, the protocols include redeeming Israel's firstborn. In this discussion, God says your firstborn belongs to God, and you must redeem your firstborn or you must kill it. God has redeemed Israel's firstborn by the blood...

Elders redux

A reader (I am always amazed that people actually read this blog) submitted a rather long comment on the original post on Elders. It is apparent that the reader did some good homework as the comment has several, well, more than several, reference citations. It is clear that they both read the original post and did some Bible study before posting their comment. Because the comment was so long, I thought it appropriate to post another entry rather than bury the response in the comment log. In the following discussion, I have included the text of the comment without the Scripture references. If you want to read the comment in its entirety, scroll to the Elders post and click on the comment. --------------------------------------------------------- [Comment~~~~The church is expected to be a people in exactly this sense. We are the people of God who are charged with continuing and preserving the values, culture, hopes, and the identity of God’s people in our time.~~~~ Does this include th...

Faith to Faith

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith." (Romans 1.16-17, ESV) There are various renderings and understandings of the phrase as it is used here, "faith for faith." Both words for faith derive from pistis, with the first being pisteos (genitive) and the second, pistin (accusative) . Faith, we are told, begins in faith and leads to faith. The import of this origin and fulfillment is found in the next sentence above, the righteous shall live by faith (genitive). We might word this as "already held or possessed faith will result in or lead to faith. As it is written, the one who has faith will parlay that faith into a salvific faith. Faith held by the believer will lead the believer to greater or more complete faith, resulting in her s...